devil’s food cupcakes
Recently, whilst looking for something simple and delicious to make for Halloween, I came across this recipe for Devil’s Food Cake and knew I’d found just the ticket. After all, what’s more sinister than the Devil Himself? What I didn’t realize was that, traditionally, devil’s food cake was made with beets! It seemed a bit odd, but after giving it a bit of thought I realized that I bake with both carrots and zucchini on a fairly regular basis and so I decided to give the beets a chance.
Listed below is the original recipe which yields a massive four layer cake. I halved it.
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 sticks ( 227 g ) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 medium beets, peeled and grated
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Preheat the oven to 350° ( 176° ). Butter four 9-inch cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and eggs.
- Beat the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients until combined. Beat in the sour cream. Add the butter and grated beets and mix until fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for about 35 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center of each cake comes out clean. Transfer the cakes to racks and let cool completely in their pans.